Food, Glorious Food

Wednesday, November 3, 2010


Lately I've been obsessed with the idea of making pork belly. Most of these cravings come from watching way too much Food Network. I saw Laura Calder making pork belly with lentils on French Food at Home and it looked absolutely delicious, so of course I had to try it for myself.

One of my other favourite shows is Jamie Oliver at Home. Not only is he one of the most knowledgeable chefs on TV, but he's also entertaining and makes you want to instantly make and eat whatever he cooks. This show in particular is great because it's all about cooking with vegetables straight from the garden. He'll actually go out and pick something, then come home and cook it right away (usually involving frying, cheese, or some sort of pork product — genius!). The garden is huge, colourful, and not maintained by him (he has full-time gardeners), but still it's obvious that he cares about it.

Second great thing about the show is its look. In betweens are illustrated (imagine! Illustrations on tv, in this day and age) by Hello Charlie, with cute and quirky drawings as if someone was keeping a journal. I've always wanted to do something like that, and I do keep a recipe book with small illustrations so I can quickly find a dish, but it's much more utilitarian than I'd like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Older Home